Ragda pattice is a lip-smacking and quite filling chaat that is quite easy to prepare.
Ingredients to make Ragada:
- 2 cups White Peas (Safed Vatana, can use dried green peas too)
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 -2 green chilies slit or finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
Aloo or potato patties:
- 8 Potato boiled and grated/mashed
- 1.5 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Green chili finley chopped or crushed (You may add more if preferred)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp Cornflour or rice flour or both ( i have added 2 tablespoons rice flour and 2 tablespoons cornflour)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
To make ragda patties:
- Roasted cumin powder as needed
- Red chili powder to sprinkle as needed
- Roasted coriander seeds crushed as required
- Onions finely chopped, as needed
- Tomatoes finely chopped, as needed
- Chaat masala as needed
- Meethi chutney as needed
- Green chutney as needed
- Coriander leaves finely chopped as needed
- 1 nos green chili, finely chopped (you may add more if preferred more spicy)
- Nylon sev as needed
- Lemon juice as needed
How to make ragda pattice:
- Clean, wash and soak the white peas overnight. Now, drain the water completely. Then add saoked matar in a pressure cooker the soaked peas along with green chilies, and enough water.
- Cook till the peas are done but not very mushy. I prefer ragda to be of medium consistency so have used about 6 cups of water. You may adjust the consistency of the ragda by increasing or decreasing the water quantity.
- Now, add the tamarind pulp and mix well.
- First, mix together all the ingredients mentioned under the section “For Pattice”.
- Now, grease your palms with oil and divide the mixture into equal medium sized balls. Roll and flatten them to form pattice.
- You may choose to make a bigger or smaller ball from the mixture based on the preferred size of the pattice.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the pattices till they are golden brown and crisp.
- Firtsly, place the pattice in a bowl or a plate and pound it with your thumb lightly. Do not mash it too much.
- Then, pour the prepared ragda over the pattice.
- Next, top the ragda pattice with the sweet chutney , green chutney and lemon juice as required.
- Now, sprinkle the roasted coriander seeds, roasted cumin seeds powder, chaat
- masala and red chilli powder.
- Then, sprinkle the finely chopped onions, tomatoes and green chili.
- Lastly, garnish with coriander leaves and top with Nylon sev.
Enjoy the yummm chatpata Ragda Pattice
Recipe ontributed by PRITI KUMAR
Please follow and like us: