Saturday, July 20, 2024

Gurugram cafe diners sick- accidental dry ice mishap

In a shocking incident at Laforestta Cafe in Gurugram’s Sector 90 on March 2, five individuals found themselves in distress, vomiting blood and experiencing a burning sensation in their mouths. A video capturing the agonizing moments of the group, one of them vomiting on the restaurant floor, has since gone viral on social media. The cause of their health crisis? Dry ice, mistakenly served as a mouth freshener.

Gurugram News: How Dry Ice as Mouth Freshener Led Five Diners to Vomit Blood

Dry ice, the solid form of carbon dioxide (CO2) with a bone-chilling surface temperature of -78 degrees Celsius, is widely utilized across various industries, including medical, food and beverage, research, and entertainment. Its ability to maintain low temperatures without melting makes it invaluable for transporting frozen products, especially in the food and pharmaceutical sectors.

However, the Gurugram incident sheds light on the potential hazards associated with incorrect handling of dry ice. Due to its extreme temperature, direct contact can result in cold burns and frostbite, as witnessed in this unfortunate episode.

Moreover, the risk of asphyxiation looms when dry ice is stored in confined or poorly ventilated spaces. As dry ice sublimates, it releases carbon dioxide gas, and an accumulation of this gas can lead to oxygen deprivation, manifesting in symptoms such as headaches, confusion, disorientation, and difficulty in breathing.

In addition to physical harm, incorrect handling of dry ice can also cause eye irritation, emphasizing the need for appropriate personal protective gear, including gloves and eye protection, when working with this substance.

The incident serves as a stark reminder of the importance of adhering to safety protocols when dealing with dry ice. Proper storage, continuous monitoring of carbon dioxide levels, and awareness of potential risks are imperative to prevent such unfortunate incidents. As the investigation into the Gurugram incident unfolds, it highlights the critical need for establishments and individuals alike to exercise caution and ensure the responsible use of dry ice to prevent harm and health crises.


Leave a Reply